It is important that one should undergo training at ultrasound technician schools in order to become a technician. These schools help the students to understand what this technology is about and make them learn how to operate the ultrasound equipment. These machines are vital in a technician’s career because he/she uses them to take photos of internal human body organs.
The ultrasound technician training programs last 2-4 years and can be completed at a 4-year university or at a community college under Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree. A 2-year Associate’s degree is the most common training/education that the ultrasound technicians receive. Some 1-year programs that result in a vocational certificate are also acceptable as a proper training or education by the employers but these are useful only for those technicians who are already working in a healthcare occupation and want to increase their marketability by this training.
Types Of Certificates
These programs are not accredited. In short, there are different types of certificates being offered at an ultrasound technician school namely, they include Certificate in Ultrasound/Sonography, Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Ultrasound/Sonography and Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Ultrasound /Sonography. Some ultrasound training programs give preference to the applicants with experience in health or science field like the registered nurses. But few of them also accept those with strong educational background in science, mathematics and health under Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Online Ultrasound Technician Schools
It is also possible to do some courses online for those who can’t go for regular classes. People who want to have a diploma or PhD. without doing it on regular basis; online mode is very helpful for them. Online ultrasound technician schools teach all the things that an ultrasound technician needs to know with the convenience of timing.
One can take it as a substitute if one wants to become a technician. It is considered to be a better option since it saves a lot of money and time. One neither has to travel to the particular location nor buy the study materials. There are many online and regular schools so an interested person has a great opportunity to select the school of his/her choice.
These technician programs are accredited by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS). Technicians registered by the ARDMS are known as Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (RDMS).
1. South University – Associates Degree in Allied Health Science has become one of the fastest ways to get your degree for those who would like to get their ultrasound technician career going in under a year.
2. DeVry University – Bachelor’s in Health Services Management. This really is an excellent option for individuals who would like to get into the health care industry as well as get on the job experience.
3. Keiser University – Associate in Health Services Administration training course is flexible and offers individuals with reasonable technician training as well as how to use ultrasound, x-ray and ekg equipment.
4. Virginia College Online – BS in Health Services Management is an accredited online bachelors healthcare degree that gives individuals the pre-requisites they must have to get into a clinical ultrasound tech program.
5. Kaplan University – Their master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degree and certificate programs provide extensive education in healthcare to get you ready for a career inside the health sciences.
The subjects typically covered on ultrasound technician program include medical ethics, anatomy, physiology, basic physics, patient care and instrumentation. The program lectures focus on making students learn usage and reading of ultrasound equipment for the student’s area of specialty.
For instance if the student wants to specialize in Obstetrics, his/her studies will be focused on learning female reproductive health and other related subjects along with the learning of how to perform ultrasound procedure and read the images since it is related to pregnancy.
If you want to pursue this career, there are many options available to you as far as institutions are concerned, both locally and online. You just have to spend some time and research about different schools to ensure that you enroll in a reputable school.